Ask Mr. Donn
Amendments to the US Constitution, Question:
What does Amendment 14 change?
Amendment 14 has 4 main points.
- Point 1: All persons born or naturalized in the U.S. are citizens and no state can take away those things guaranteed by the constitution from them.
- Point 2: Any state that denies the right to vote of citizens shall lose representation in Congress proportional to the persons denied citizenship rights.
- Point 3: If you have been in rebellion against the U.S. you cannot be a member of Congress.
- Point 4: The U.S. will not assume the debt of the states that have been in rebellion, nor pay them for freed slaves.
- Learn more about the 14th Amendment for Kids